To start Saferoom application follow the steps below:
- Download SaferoomDesktop.zip file to your PC and move it to Applications Folder and pin it to Dock if you want. Or you can install the application directly from App Store
- Start the application. You will see the following screen
- Specify and confirm your password (encryption key). In order to decrypt a note you must specify the same password that was used to encrypt it. It means if you have, for example, Saferoom MacOS and Saferoom iOS installed – you need to use the same password in both of them
- Click Save password and then click Next
- On this step Saferoom will try to create two notebooks: Encrypt_Inbox and Decrypt_Inbox. By default these notebooks are used by Saferoom as notebooks for notes to be encrypted/decrypted and encrypted/decrypted notes. For more information about Saferoom notebooks see What is Saferoom?
- Click Create notebooks button. Saferoom will create these notebooks (notebooks are created as LOCAL notebooks) on your Evernote client. If for some reason these notebooks were not created, you can create them manually. But please note that you must use only LOCAL notebooks for encryption and decryption. Saferoom doesn’t check if the notebook is Local or Synced
- You can check the created notebooks in your Evernote client
Saferoom MacOS consists of two windows:
- Main application window
- Preferences window
Main application window consists of three buttons:
- Encrypt notes: button used to initiate the Encryption procedure
- Decrypt notes: button used to initiate the Decryption procedure
- Details: button used to open the Application Log
- Notebook to encrypt from: this is the notebook where you should put the notes you want to encrypt
- Notebook to put encrypted notes to: this is the notebook where Saferoom application will place all encrypted notes
- Tag for encrypted notes: here you can specify the tag, that will be added to all your encrypted notes.
- Notebook to decrypt from: this is the notebook where you should put the notes you want to decrypt
- Notebook to put decrypted notes to: this is the notebook where Saferoom application will place all decrypted notes
- Tag for decrypted notes: here you can specify the tag, that will be added to all your decrypted notes.
For more information about these notebooks and tags please check Saferoom notebooks for Evernote (Desktop versions only) section.
Passwords tab is used to change your current password. Please remember that password length should be minimum 8 characters. Also be aware that after changing your password you won’t be able to decrypt notes, encrypted with the old password
Now, let’s talk how to encrypt your notes using Saferoom MacOS. Since the names of Saferoom notebooks may vary, i will be using their default names:
- Notebook to encrypt from: Encrypt_Inbox
- Notebook for encrypted notes: Encrypt_Inbox
And of course, it is assumed that Saferoom MacOS and Evernote MacOS are installed on your PC. So, in order to encrypt data, please follow the steps below
- Open your Evernote client and create notes you want to encrypt and copy (move) then to Encrypt_Inbox. This notebook is created automatically during Saferoom first launch. Or, if you already have some notes to encrypt, please copy (move) then to Encrypt_Inbox notebook. As you remember this notebook is a LOCAL notebook, so your data don’t go anywhere
- Open Saferoom application and click “Encrypt notes” button. Or right-click on Saferoom icon and select “Encrypt now”
- Open Evernote and check that notes have been successfully encrypted and placed into Encrypt_Inbox notebook
- Copy(move) these notes to some SYNCED notebook and sync the content with Evernote server
- Open your browser and connect to your Evernote account. Check that your encrypted notes have been uploaded to the Evernote server
Please note that original note stays in Encrypt_Inbox notebook. You should handle it manually
Now, let’s talk how to decrypt your encrypted notes using Saferoom MacOS. Since the names of Saferoom notebooks may vary, i will be using their default names:
- Notebook to decrypt from: Decrypt_Inbox
- Notebook for decrypted notes: Decrypt_Inbox
Please pay attention that Decrypt_Inbox must always be a local only notebook
And of course, it is assumed that Saferoom MacOS and Evernote MacOS are installed on your PC. So, in order to decrypt data, please follow the steps below
- Open your Evernote client and sync the content with Evernote server. This is needed, for example, if you encrypt your notes on other PC or mobile phone.
- Copy (move) your encrypted notes to Decrypt_Inbox note
- Open Saferoom application and click “Decrypt” button. Or right-click on Saferoom icon and select “Decrypt now”
- Open Evernote and check that notes have been successfully decrypted and placed into Decrypt_Inbox notebook
- If decryption was unsuccessful and you see the error – “HMAC mismatch”, then it means your password is incorrect – the note was encrypted with the password which is not equal to the one your are using right now
Changing password (encryption key)
Please be aware that after changing your password you won’t be able to decrypt notes, encrypted by the old password!
If you want to change your password, please follow the steps below:
- Open Saferoom application
- Click Saferoom Desktop in the upper left corner and select Preferences
- Select Passwords tab
- In the Current password field type your current password
- In the New password field type your new password. Password should be minimum 8 characters long
- In the Confirm new password field type your new password once again
- Click Change password button. Your password will be changed.
Now, all notes will be encrypted using your new password. Please also remember to change passwords on all devices with Saferoom installed. See the following sections for more details:
Getting started with Saferoom MacOS
Encrypting Evernote note with Saferoom MacOS
Decrypting Evernote note with Saferoom MacOS